This is the first dish I cooked for my husband ever, back in the summer of 2009.
A nod to AllRecipes.com for this one.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 to 8 oz portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 garlic coves, minced
- 1/2 tsp basil, plus a few pinches
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups mozzarella cheese, split*
- 5 oz spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce**
*I had 1 cup of mozzarella this time, and used Parmesan for this rest.
**If you’re scared this is a weird addition, you can leave it out and the dish will be fine. But, I think it does add a little something nice.