The husband likes a rich, hearty pasta sauce, not too watery. So I gave this one a try, adapted from my new Step by Step Cookbook.
Confession: Every single time I post a recipe I’ve tried without the first picture being that of the ingredients, it’s because I inevitably forget to include an ingredient in the picture. Which is every darn time, it seems like.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds*
- 1/2 pound ground veal**
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- about 18 oz of whole canned tomatoes, chopped, juice reserved
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- pinch of cinnamon***
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, or more as needed
- 8 oz spaghetti (I tried a vegetable-based spaghetti for the first time – great)
- Parmesan or Romano cheese for garnish (optional)
*You can use finely chopped celery instead.
**You can also use ground beef, pork, or a combination therein.
***I accidentally put in too much cinnamon. To counteract that, I added some lemon juice and additional tomatoes, and that seemed to do the trick nicely. Also, you could use nutmeg instead of cinnamon.