There’s a bit of a funny story behind this recipe: I was going to a Mother’s Day cookout last weekend, and was bringing a potato salad. My mother emailed me the day before the wedding saying that the host had told her to bring a vegetable side dish, and she was bringing potato salad, because that was close enough.
I may have freaked out a little bit: “Mom I’m bringing potato salad you can’t bring potato salad!!!!” “Well the potatoes are cooking right now give me another idea!” I quickly looked up vegetable side dishes to bring to cookouts and emailed her three recipes.
My mom did end up bringing some of her potato salad. There were two kinds of potato salads and nobody died; both were very enjoyable. However, my dad made one of the recipes I suggested to my mom as well, and that was a black bean and corn salad recipe I found here. I enjoyed it so much I had to make it myself. And, I also featured it in my weekly market newsletter I do for my farmers market job.
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and dried
- 1 (11 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained (recommended Del Monte Summer Crisp corn)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 green onions (white and some of the green part), thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Mix all ingredients together. Chill for at least 2 hours. Yum.